See how historic traditions and modern-day culture have swirled together to create Greece’s current food and wine scene. Start in Thessaloniki, the co…
Thessaloniki’s ancient Byzantine landmarks, wine tasting in Epanomi, Acropolis, Palace of Knossos, Heraklion Archaeological Museum, wine tasting in Ir…
On this guided tour, you’ll walk for about 1.5 hours daily across uneven terrain, including paved roads and cobblestone streets, with steep hills and …
Board your overnight flight to Thessaloniki today.
Welcome to Greece! Gather with your fellow travellers at a welcome dinner tonight.
Set out on a guided tour to get to know Thessaloniki, the second-largest city of the former Byzantine empire and a modern-day hub for Greek culture.
• View the Arch of Galerius and Rotunda, which were built for Roman Emperor Galerius in the 4th century
• Pass by the Hagios Demetrios and Hagia Sophia churches
• See the Roman-style city walls that were constructed during the early 3rd century
• Walk along the seaside promenade to view the White Tower of Thessaloniki
• Visit the Ladadika district and enjoy free time to explore at your leisure Later, head to the Epanomi wine region and visit the Ktima Gerovassiliou winery.
• Follow a guide on a short walk through the vineyard to see Malagousia and Assyrtiko grapes that are used to create the winery’s signature red and white Epanomi wines
• Tour the production area
• Explore the on-site museum to see well-preserved artifacts that are essential to the history of Greek winemaking including bottles, barrels, and corkscrews
• Sample some of the wines during a tasting
Tour the Archaeological Site of Aigai and enjoy a wine tasting in the Naoussa region.
• Join a local guide to tour of the UNESCO World Heritage Archaeological Site of Aigai
• Learn about and explore the ruins of the first capital of the Macedonian Kingdom, where Alexander the Great was declared the king of the Macedonian Empire
• Visit the Museum of Royal Tombs of Aigai where Philip II, father of Alexander the Great, is buried
Pass through the eastern slopes of the Vermio Mountains to visit the Naoussa wine region, widely regarded as one of Greece’s top areas for viticulture.
• Visit a wine tavern and enjoy a lunch of Macedonian specialties
• Sample wines produced in the Naoussa region
Travel from Thessaloniki to the seaside city of Volos. Located on the Pelion Peninsula, this area is known for its culinary scene. During an included lunch, you’ll try mezedes, or small plates, and tsipouro, an anise-flavoured brandy.
After, continue on to Athens.
A local guide introduces you to the highlights of this bustling ancient capital, home to the world’s first democracy.
• Pass by the Olympic Stadium, Syntagma Square, and the Arch of Hadrian
• View the sixth-century Temple of Zeus
• See the classically inspired Old Royal Palace, home of the Hellenic Parliament, and drive through the Plaka district
• Set off on a walking tour around the ancient Acropolis, site of the Parthenon, Temple of Athena Nike, and Erechtheion
This afternoon, journey to the southern tip of the Attic Peninsula to take in the sights of the Poseidon Coast.
• See the Temple of Poseidon, which sits high above the sparkling shoreline
• Look out from the lofty cliffside vantage point, where you can see five Aegean islands on a clear day
• Spend free time enjoying a coffee, stopping in a souvenir shop, or strolling through the area
Please note: This afternoon’s activities involve some walking on uneven terrain.
Today, fly to Crete and take a guided sightseeing tour of Heraklion, the largest city on the island.
• Visit the ruins of Knossos, where King Minos imprisoned the Minotaur in a labyrinth, according to the myth
• Step inside the Heraklion Archaeological Museum
Tonight, sample some of Greece’s most well-known liquors including Ouzo, Metaxa, and Raki. Then, enjoy an included dinner of Cretan specialties and regional wine.
Travel through the Iraklio wine country on your way to Chania today, and make several stops along the way.
• Pay a visit to the village of Archanes and step inside a workshop where local women prepare traditional baked goods and preserves
• Tour a Cretan vineyard and enjoy a lunch and tasting featuring a variety of the wines produced from Kotsifali, Mandilaria, and Malvasia grapes
Then, continue on to Chania where you’ll take a guided tour.
• Step inside the Chania Cathedral Trimartiti and Etz Hayyim, the only synagogue on the island and a symbol of the city’s ages-old Jewish community
• Walk through the city’s indoor market, stopping to try herbs, cheese, and olive oil
• Pass the Mosque Yiali Tzami as you walk along the old Venetian harbour
• See the famous Egyptian lighthouse
Today, head to a local cooking school where you’ll prepare regional dishes alongside a professional chef. Then, enjoy drinking Greek wine and eating the foods you cooked for lunch.
Head to a local olive oil farm outside of Chania this evening where you’ll enjoy an olive oil and wine tasting before an included dinner. br>
• Dip into the extra-virgin olive oil with a side of fresh-baked bread br>
• Try five different wine varieties served with a dish of Cretan delicacies br>
• End your night of food, wine, and fun with a dinner overlooking the stunning vineyard and olive groves
Fly to Athens this morning. Tonight, gather with your group to celebrate your trip at a farewell dinner.
Transfer to the airport for your flight home or extend your stay to explore Santorini and Athens.
Add 4 nights in Santorini & Athens
Take a ferry to Santorini, then enjoy free time to discover the island’s charming culture and awe-inspiring landscapes.
Take in the local sights on a guided tour of Santorini, a volcanic isle known for its black-sand beaches, cliff-lined shores, and stunning whitewashed architecture.
• Visit the prehistoric settlements that were unearthed during the archaeological excavations at Akrotiri
• Ride to the top of Mount Profitis Ilias for panoramic views of the whole island
• Stop in the small, picturesque village of Pyrgos
Spend a free afternoon and evening in Santorini or add an excursion.
Enjoy a free day in Santorini or add an excursion.
Fly back to Athens.
This evening, make your way to Botrini’s, a Michelin-starred restaurant in Athens, for the incredible opportunity to enjoy some of the city’s best gourmet food prepared by world-class chef Ettore Botrini.
• Admire the restaurant’s contemporary space, which boasts stark-white walls, a glass-walled kitchen, and an open terrace
• Relax in this elegant setting while enjoying a six-course tasting menu paired with local wine
• Meet the expert restaurant staff who will provide an explanation for each dish so that you can learn more about Botrini’s approach to his culinary creations
Transfer to the airport for your flight home.
Prices are per person based on double occupancy, before flights, and vary by departure date. Select your preferred departure date and departure city to view your tour price with flights and hotel transfers included. Changes or cancellation will result in a fee of up to the total tour price. Last-minute specials are not combinable with any other promotional discount. Promotional discounts not combinable with any other promotional offer, including Group Coordinator and Group Benefit programs. Applicable airline baggage fees are not included. Please contact the airline for more information. Some countries may require aircraft insecticide treatment for inbound foreign flights. Such countries can be found at grouptoursite.ca/insecticide. To view Go Ahead's complete Terms & Conditions, visit grouptoursite.ca/terms. The tour operator for your trip is EF Education First International Ltd. CST 2060043-20.Terms and conditionsTICO-2395858 | CPBC-73991 | OPC: 702732