EF Go Ahead
The tour operator for your trip is EF Education First International Ltd. Selnaustrasse 30, 8001 Zurich, Switzerland, organization number: CHE-109.874.655, VAT number CHE-116.325.678 MWST. EF Institute for Cultural Exchange Ltd. is an affiliate of EF Education First International Ltd. and acts only as a marketing provider for that company. EF Institute for Cultural Exchange Ltd. does not provide any goods or services for your trip. The services provided are tax-exempt with credit in accordance with Swiss Federal Law with regard to Value-Added Tax Art. #23. In the following text EF Education First International Ltd. and EF Institute for Cultural Exchange Ltd. are together referred to as “EF Go Ahead Tours,” “Go Ahead Tours” or “GAT.”
These Booking Conditions are subject to change at any time. Your agreement to these Booking Conditions constitutes your agreement to any updates which can be found at www.goaheadtours.ca/terms.
All amounts are shown in Canadian dollars unless otherwise noted.
Reserving your tour
To reserve a place on a European land tour, a reservation fee of $300 per person is required. To reserve a place on a non-European land tour, Special Event Tour, Land & Cruise Tour, Ancestry Tour or Customized Tour, a reservation fee of $450 per person is required. GAT and other EF-issued travel vouchers cannot be used as a reservation fee for a tour. We accept waitlist reservations on most tours. The full reservation fee is required to secure a place on the waitlist. If we are unable to confirm your reservation by 36 days prior to departure, your reservation fee will be refunded in full. If you are approved after the Tour Finalization Date (see below), standard late-add procedures apply. Due to CATSA security requirements you must, within seven days of booking or at the time of reservation, provide GAT with your name and birthday exactly as it appears on the form of identification you plan to use. Failure to provide this information at the time of reservation could result in additional fees. Travellers must be at least six years of age at the time of departure to participate on a Go Ahead tour. Exclusions to this rule are Nature & Wildlife, Safari, Food & Wine, and Walking Tours, where the minimum age is eight years, and Customized and Private Tours, where the minimum age is three years.
The Tour Finalization Date for land tours and Special Event Tours is 70 days prior to departure.
Exceptions include the following tours, which have a Tour Finalization Date of 90 days prior to the departure: Land & Cruise Tours, Customized Tours, Ancestry Tours, tours to Cuba, and tours including the Rocky Mountaineer train.
Terms of reservations
The reservation fee is fully refundable if you cancel within 72 hours of booking the tour. For reservations made fewer than 72 hours prior to the Tour Finalization Date, the reservation fee is refundable up until the Tour Finalization Date. TravelSafe, TravelSafe Premium and AnyReason Protection can be canceled and are fully refundable within 15 days of purchase. After this time the plans are non-refundable. Prior to the Tour Finalization Date, you may change your reservation to a new tour for a rebooking fee of $50 (which must be collected at time of rebooking) plus any difference in tour price due to price increases, changes in travel season, or tour. Any promotions received on the original tour are not transferable to the new tour. If you have purchased TravelSafe, you will also be responsible for any additional cost as the price of the TravelSafe package will be based on the new tour price, which must be collected at the time of rebooking. Terms & Conditions in place at the time of rebooking will apply to all changed reservations. Travellers must accept Go Ahead Tours’ Booking Conditions and Release & Agreement within 14 days of booking, or their reserved places on tour are subject to cancellation.
Please note: Travel Insurance Products are not available to residents of Quebec. TravelSafe is underwritten by Chubb Insurance Company of Canada. Additional benefits under TravelSafe Premium and AnyReason Protection are administered by EF Go Ahead Tours and are not insurance products.
Travellers may pay in full at time of booking or enrol in one of two payment plan options: the Manual Payment Plan or Automatic Payment Plan.
Manual Payment Plan
If travellers do not pay in full or do not choose the Automatic Payment Plan upon making their reservation, they will be enroled in the Manual Payment Plan. Travellers on the Manual Payment Plan must provide a valid email address and are subject to the payment schedule outlined below:
Automatic Payment Plan
Travellers are eligible to enrol in the Automatic Payment Plan up to 7 days before the Tour Finalization Date.
Best Price Guarantee
Go Ahead’s Best Price Guarantee is valid only at the time of booking for new reservations and applies to the price of the tour including airfare and after the value of any promotional offer or discount is applied. It is not applicable to tour extensions. To qualify, comparable tours must provide the same included items at an equivalent quality level, be fully escorted, have the same duration, provide the exact number and locations of overnight stays, and have an equivalent departure day and date. Any eligible difference between the price of the GAT tour and a comparable tour at the time of booking will be applied as a discount to the GAT tour price. Final determination will be at GAT’s sole discretion.
Prices are per person based on double occupancy. For the most up-to-date pricing, please see our website at www.goaheadtours.ca. Airline fuel surcharges, as applicable at the time of pricing, are included in the tour prices when opting to add an airfare package through GAT. All prices are subject to increase prior to the time of full payment. Reasons for such increases include, but are not limited to, fluctuations in currency exchange rates, fuel prices and government-imposed taxes and fees.Please note: Government taxes and fees with respect to air travel and port taxes are part of the tour price. All prices are in Canadian dollars.
This contract permits price increases. No price increases are permitted after the customer has paid in full. If the price increase is more than 7%, except increases resulting from an increase in retail sales tax or federal goods and service tax, the customer has the right to cancel the contract and obtain a full refund.
As of January 1, 2019, for residents of Quebec, contribution to FICAV is no longer required, but you will automatically be covered by FICAV. Find out more at www.ficav.gouv.qc.ca/en
Discounts & promotions
All discounts, promotions, and sales are subject to the specific terms listed for that price. For most promotions, travellers are eligible for a one-time promotion adjustment should they find the same tour, date, and gateway (if applicable) on sale for a lower price within 90 days of the initial enrolment. Early booking discounts are considered part of a sale price and cannot be re-applied with a promotion adjustment. Tour discounts that are part of a “Last-Minute Special” are valid on new bookings only and are not part of the 90-day promotion adjustment guarantee. When included in promotional materials, free excursion discounts are valued at up to $75 off any excursion per person unless otherwise stated. Travellers are not eligible for promotional adjustments past the Tour Finalization Date.
Club Go program T&Cs
Enrolment in Club Go is automatic upon account creation or upon booking first tour. Program level is based on the number of completed trips and new levels are adjusted upon traveller’s tour start date.
The traveller will receive a tour credit toward a future tour in an amount based on their Club Go level. Travellers are eligible to earn future tour credits after they book their first tour. Tour credits for future tours are earned once the booking is confirmed and will be automatically applied to the traveller’s next subsequent booking. If a tour is cancelled for any reason (either traveller or Go Ahead initiated) the future tour credit will be removed.
Welcome Home Credits
Save $100 per person, on all departure dates. Offer valid for prior travellers only and expires 90 days after the return flight date of your last trip with Go Ahead Tours. Combinable with the loyalty program benefits, referral credits, and other promotional offers except for Group Coordinator and Group Benefit programs. Sales promotions are not redeemable for cash. Go Ahead Tours reserves the right to revoke discount if used outside of validity window.
Travellers are eligible to earn experience credits after they return from their third tour. The traveller will receive experience credits in an amount that corresponds to their Club Go level. The credit will be available upon the end date of their qualifying tour. Experience credits can be redeemed for any tour add-on including excursions, extensions, pre/post-stay, cabin-upgrades (cruise or train), flight upgrade, private room fee, airport transfer and travel protection and cannot be used to pay for base tour costs. Experience credits are non-transferable, cannot be used to purchase anything while traveller is on tour and can be partially redeemed. Experience credits can be applied against an order at any point before the traveller departs for their tour. If the experience the traveller purchases is cancelled, the credit will become available for the traveller to use again.
20th & 30th Tour benefits
The free 20th tour benefit may be applied to any tour up to a $4,000 value. If the value of the booked tour is greater than $4,000, the customer is responsible for paying the balance. Club Go experience and tour credits do not apply on the free tour. The 20th tour benefit is valid after 19 tours as a paying customer and is not combinable with our group travel program benefits. If the cost of the tour is under $4,000 the remainder of the credit will be forfeited. The 30th tour Business Class upgrade benefit can only be redeemed on a full-paying tour and may be applied to the airfare cost for the traveller or be partially allocated toward the airfare cost for a travel companion on the same trip (up to a $4,000 value for both).
Flexible Rebooking benefit
In the event the traveller needs to rebook an existing reservation, they are eligible for a one-time trip rebooking fee exemption. The one-time fee exception is valid for each tour that a new deposit has been applied to and the new reservation needs to be rebooked at least 70 days before the tour departs. Club Go benefits are only valid for new bookings 8/7/18 or later and cannot be applied to any existing bookings prior to that date. Any Club Go program credits are combinable with promotional offers, but cannot be exchanged for cash. Travellers who are Platinum or Diamond level status in the World Traveller Club as of 8/6/18 will receive some existing benefits for an overlapping period of three years post Club Go launch. Please call for details.
To qualify for this program, the referrer must be referring new travellers to Go Ahead’s Individual Traveller Program and be booked on a future Go Ahead tour or have travelled with Go Ahead Tours in the past. If the referrer is booked on a future tour but has not travelled with Go Ahead in the past, they will be eligible for the program only if referring new travellers who are not roommate travel companions or members of the same household. If the referrer has travelled on a Go Ahead tour in the past, they will be eligible for the program if referring any new traveller. The referrer will receive a credit toward a future tour in the amount that corresponds to the number of referrals booked on a tour in a two-year period, as defined in the chart below. The two-year period begins when the first referred traveller books their first tour with Go Ahead. The referred traveller will also be eligible for a $100 credit toward their first Go Ahead tour.
|Number of referrals (over a two-year period which begins when first referral books their first Go Ahead tour)||Credit earned (for the referrer, credits valid for two years from date earned, except the free tour credit which must be redeemed within one year of being earned)|
|5||$200 + $300 bonus for a total of $500 credit|
|8||$300 + $3,700 free trip credit once all 8 referred travellers have departed, total of $4,000 free tour credit|
Earned credit will be applied to a referrer’s account no earlier than 72 hours after the referred traveller has booked their first Go Ahead tour. If a referred traveller has received more than one referral from multiple referrers, only the first referrer is eligible to receive a credit. Children under 18 are not eligible for referral discounts. If a referred traveller cancels their tour after 72 hours, the credit earned by the referrer will remain, however, that referral will not count toward the eight referrals needed to earn a free tour within a two-year period. If Go Ahead cancels a tour that a referred traveller is booked on, all earned credits and program benefits will remain.
Once a referrer has reached eight referrals within a two-year period, they will earn a free tour valued at up to $4,000. This free trip will be earned after eight referred travellers depart on their first Go Ahead tour. Value of the free trip is given as a $300 credit at the time of the eighth referral booking with the remaining $3,700 credit being applied after all eight referrals have made a departure. The value of the free trip expires one year after the trip has been earned. If the value of the free tour booked is less than $4,000, a credit for the exact tour amount will be applied to the recipient’s account. If value of free tour is over $4,000, a credit of $4,000 will be applied the recipient’s account and they will be responsible for the remaining balance. If a customer has additional valid referral credits, those credits may be applied toward the free tour balance.
There is no limit on the amount of referral credits a referrer can receive. For referrals nine and beyond referrer will receive a $300 credit per traveller. Offer is not valid retroactively and is available for new bookings only. Referral credits are combinable with promotional offers, but cannot be exchanged for cash. Referral discounts are not combinable with our Group Travel Program benefits; however, Group Coordinators and group members are eligible to participate in the referral program provided they qualify and refer new travellers to our Individual Traveller Program. Travellers that are joining a tour as part of our Group Travel Program are not eligible to be referred or receive referral benefits.
If you made referrals before June 19, 2017, and those referred travellers book their first Go Ahead tour after June 19, 2017, the terms above apply. If you have referrals that booked before June 19, 2017, and you still have remaining tour credit, that credit will be valid until June 18, 2019. Those referral credits do not count toward new program benefits, but the value of the earned credit will be valid until June 18, 2019, at which point if the credit has not been redeemed it will expire.
See www.goaheadtours.ca/refer for the most up-to-date referral program details.
Group Coordinator Referral Programs
Referral of a future Go Ahead Tours Group Coordinator:
To qualify for this program, the referrer must be referring new Group Coordinators to Go Ahead Tours' Group Coordinator Referral Program and be booked as a Group Coordinator on a future trip with Go Ahead Tours, or previously been a Group Coordinator with Go Ahead Tours or another EF division. The referrer will earn their choice of 500 Global Points or a taxable cash bonus of $500 when their referral travels with at least six full-paying travellers onto their first trip with Go Ahead Tours within two years of the date they were originally referred to Go Ahead Tours. If the referral is valid, the referrer will be asked to select the bonus of their choosing. The cash reward is considered taxable income and it is the referrer’s responsibility to report this as earned income on their personal tax return. The cash reward cannot be applied to existing account balances.
The referrer will have an opportunity to earn additional Global Points based on the final size of their referral’s group. If the referral travles with 12–23 travellers, the referrer will earn an additional 150 Global Points. If the referral recruits 24+ travellers, the referrer will earn 300 Global Points on top of the initial reward of 500 Global Points or the $500 taxable cash benefit. We will review the referrer's account, which will happen approximately 30 days before they depart on tour, the referrer will earn any additional points based on the size of their referral’s group. Additional earnings cannot be cash.
Eligibility for the World of Thanks Tour:
In order to qualify for the World of Thanks Tour, a Group Coordinator must refer a minimum of three Group Coordinators between January 21, 2019–January 31, 2020 who each travel with at least six full-paying travellers by January 31, 2020. The top referrers among the eligible Group Coordinators will be given the opportunity to redeem Global Points to travel on the World of Thanks Tour.
The terms above apply to all referrals who book their first trip with Go Ahead Tours on or after January 21, 2019. If the referrer has referrals who booked before January 21, 2019, the previous referral program benefits apply.
Referral of a future Go Ahead Tours Individual Traveller:
To qualify for this program, the referrer must be referring new travellers to Go Ahead Tours’ Individual Traveller Program and be booked on a future trip with Go Ahead Tours as a Group Coordinator, or previously been a Group Coordinator with Go Ahead Tours or another EF division. Referred travellers cannot be a roommate, travel companion, or members of the same household. The referrer will receive a choice of 50 Global Points or a taxable cash bonus of $100 for each referral who books their first trip with Go Ahead Tours. Rewards correspond to the number of referrals booked on a tour in a two-year period, as defined in the chart below. The two-year period begins when the first referred traveller books their first trip with Go Ahead Tours. The referred traveller will also be eligible for a $100 credit toward their first trip with Go Ahead Tours, plus any applicable promotions. In order to qualify for referral credits, both the referrer and referee must provide a valid first and last name, phone number, and email address.
|Number of referrals (over a two-year period, which begins when the first referral books their first trip with Go Ahead Tours)||Credit earned (for the referrer, credits are valid for two years from the date earned, except the free tour credit, which must be redeemed within one year of being earned)|
|1||50 Global Points OR $100|
|2||50 Global Points OR $100|
|3||50 Global Points OR $100|
|4||50 Global Points OR $100|
|5||50 Global Points OR $100|
|6||50 Global Points OR $100|
|7||50 Global Points OR $100|
Free Convention Tour (up to 1,500 Global Points value) or a $4,000 free tour credit. Either credit is earned once all eight referred travellers have departed on tour.
The earned reward will be applied to a referrer's account no earlier than four days after the referred traveller has booked their first trip with Go Ahead Tours. If a referred traveller has received more than one referral from multiple referrers, only the first referrer is eligible to receive a credit. Children under 18 are not eligible for the referral program. If a referred traveller cancels their tour after four days, the credit earned by the referrer will remain, however, that referral will not count toward the eight referrals needed to earn a free trip or Convention Tour within a two-year period. If Go Ahead Tours cancels a tour that a referred traveller is booked on, all earned rewards and program benefits will remain.
Once a referrer has reached eight referrals within a two-year period, they will earn a choice of either a free tour valued at up to $4,000 or a Convention Tour valued at up to 1,500 Global Points. This free trip will be earned after eight referred travellers depart on their first trip with Go Ahead Tours. The earned trip or Convention Tour is non-transferable and cannot be combined on a trip with Group Coordinator benefits.
The value of the free trip is given as a $4,000 credit or 1,500 Global Points credit after all eight referrals have departed on tour. The value of the free trip or Global Points expires two years after the trip has been earned. If the value of the free tour booked is less than $4,000, a credit for the exact tour amount will be applied to the recipient's account. If the value of the free tour is more than $4,000, a credit of $4,000 will be applied to the recipient's account and they will be responsible for the remaining balance. If a customer has valid Global Points, they may apply the cash equivalent to cover the remaining balance.
If the value of the Convention Tour booked is less than 1,500 Global Points, a credit for the exact points value will be applied to the recipient’s account. If the value of the Convention Tour is over 1,500 Global Points, a credit of 1,500 Global Points will be applied the recipient's account and they will be responsible for the remaining balance. If a customer has valid Global Points, they may redeem additional points to cover the remaining balance.
There is no limit on the amount of referral credits a referrer can receive. For referrals nine and beyond, the referrer will receive their choice of 50 Global Points or a $100 taxable cash bonus. The offer is not valid retroactively and is only available for new bookings. Referral discounts are not combinable with our Group Travel Program benefits; however, Group Coordinators are eligible to participate in the referral program, provided they qualify and refer new travellers to our Individual Traveller Program. Travellers who are joining a tour as part of our Group Travel Program are not eligible to be referred or receive referral benefits. Referral program benefits are not combinable with any Travel Agent benefits.
If the referrer referrers travellers before January 21, 2019 and those referred travellers book their first trip with Go Ahead Tours after January 21, 2019, the terms above apply. If the referrer referrers travellers who booked before January 21, 2019, the previous referral program benefits apply.
Departure fees & surcharges
Departure fees and surcharges are imposed by airlines, governmental agencies and, occasionally, hotels and/or other providers of services to cover such things as federal or foreign government-imposed landing fees, security fees, and energy/fuel increases. These fees and charges are assessed by GAT on a weighted average basis of all departures for a particular itinerary and are included in the tour price. GAT reserves the right to pass on new departure fees and surcharges prior to the time of full payment.
Triple room discounts
Triple room accommodations are available at a reduced cost on a limited basis. Triple rooms are usually a standard twin room with an additional cot or folding bed for the third person. Triple rooms may not be comfortable for three adults and are not available in certain cities or on Land & Cruise Tours.
Reservations after Tour Finalization Date
Late additions are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis and may be subject to additional costs from our suppliers. Reservations with airfare are subject to a late add flight fee of $85 for requested departures October through April, and $150 for requested departures May through September. If GAT is able to confirm you on your tour at the time of booking, the payment must be made in full at the point. If GAT must request additional space with suppliers before confirming the spot, the deposit only is due at that time, with the balance required once you are confirmed on tour. Late additions, once confirmed, are subject to the standard cancellations fees (see Refund & Cancellation section) applicable at the time of reservation. However, if we are unable to confirm your tour reservation, you are entitled to a full refund.
Failure to provide accurate and required information at the time of reservation could result in additional fees. Changes made after the Tour Finalization Date (see “Reserving your tour” section) will be considered late changes and are made at the sole discretion of GAT. Any changes (including, but not limited to, confirmed passport information such as names, numbers or expiry dates; travel dates; gateways; and airlines) may be subject to a service charge of $75 plus any costs GAT incurs from its suppliers. If you are travelling with a Group Coordinator, all changes must be made by 120 days prior to departure. Once the tour has departed, changes affecting return date or gateway will not be permitted.
Deviations from published tour itineraries (such as, but not limited to, travel dates and gateways) may include additional costs from our suppliers. Travellers not travelling on standard arrival or departure dates must arrange their own transportation to or from the airport and hotel. GAT can arrange pre- or post-tour accommodations, when available, through a Tour Consultant or Customer Relations Representative in any GAT sales office. While fulfillment cannot be guaranteed, GAT will make every effort to accommodate special travel requests. Please note: Due to the nature of GAT’s hotel contracts, pre- or post-stay arrangements may be in a different hotel from that of the main tour. GAT must be notified of all special arrangement requests prior to the Tour Finalization Date for consideration.
Optional excursions may be purchased up to three days prior to departure or while on tour. Pre-purchased optional excursions become non-refundable at three days prior to departure. Select optional excursions require advance booking and cannot be purchased or canceled after the advanced reservation deadline. All cancellations after the reservation deadline are subject to 100% cancellation fee. GAT accepts payment by Visa or MasterCard only for optional excursions purchased on tour. Additional fees may apply for optional excursions purchased on tour. Excursions require a minimum number of participants to operate. Details, day offered, and prices are subject to change. Due to seasonal hours of operation and availability, some excursions may not operate. If this occurs, you will be refunded any payments made for that excursion post-tour.
Land & Cruise Tours
For each Land & Cruise Tour, GAT is given a certain inventory of cabin categories to reserve for its customers. Therefore, not all cabin categories on a vessel are available to GAT. Please make sure to discuss cabin preferences with your Tour Consultant at time of booking to decide which is best for you. Specific cabins cannot be guaranteed at time of booking as they are assigned by the cruise line.
Hotels listed on our website are used on many departures, and are representative of the quality GAT uses. Other hotels will be comparable to those shown. Hotel rooms in Europe are typically smaller and less standardized than those in the United States and Canada and do not always offer air conditioning. Typically, a twin room will have two single beds placed side by side. Also, single rooms tend to be smaller than twin rooms, and may not have as desirable a location within the hotel. In Europe, it is standard policy that hotel rooms are not available for check-in before mid-afternoon.
In order to provide you with the lowest possible prices, GAT negotiates special rates with major air carriers. Due to the nature of GAT’s contracts, air arrangements may be subject to change and to certain constraints including, but not limited to, the availability of certain routings, travel times and direct or non-stop flights. Seating on flights is entirely within the control of the airline, and GAT is not responsible for seating or changes to assigned seats. However, GAT may be able to assist in requesting specific seats, although specific seating requests are not guaranteed. Please reconfirm your seating requests directly with the airlines within 30 days of your departure. GAT can neither arrange for the crediting of frequent flier miles nor guarantee that you will receive frequent flier mileage credit. Flights in upgradeable classes of service cannot be guaranteed. Occasionally, due to specific tours or flight routings, an overnight stay is required en route. If this is the case, GAT will make arrangements for hotel accommodations, and a confirmation of the relevant hotel information will be included in your final travel documents (see “Final travel documents” section). If you and your travelling companion(s) make reservations at separate times and/or are originating from different gateways, you may not travel on the same flight(s). Additionally, GAT cannot guarantee that you will be on the same flight itinerary as others in a group/family if some of your travel party has purchased the extension and/or are deviating from the tour itinerary. GAT can sometimes offer customized flight itineraries and routings based on availability, plus any additional costs incurred from our airline partners.
Please note: Flight itineraries are subject to change up to departure due to schedule, equipment, or routing changes by airlines, and GAT cannot be held responsible for these changes or additional associated costs.
Seating on flights is entirely within the control of the airline, and GAT is not responsible for seating or changes with assigned seats. However, GAT may be able to assist in requesting specific seats, although specific seating requests are not guaranteed. Please reconfirm your seating requests directly with the airlines within 30 days of your departure. Final seat assignments will be provided upon check-in.
Business class upgrades may be available on some tours for an additional fee. Upgrades are based on availability and in most cases will only be offered on overseas flights. Upgrades are not available on internal flights between cities as designated in your tour itinerary.
Each airline has its own baggage allowance policy and some airlines may impose additional charges for checked baggage. If you exceed baggage allowances, or choose to check a bag on an airline that doesn’t include baggage in their fares, you are responsible for any additional fees. Please contact your airline or refer to its website for detailed information regarding your airline’s checked baggage policies. See www.goaheadtours.ca/baggage for more details.
Flight delays & cancellations
GAT cannot be held responsible for any flight delays or cancellations caused by reasons beyond GAT’s control including, but not limited to, weather, mechanical issues, or personnel strike. In the event of a flight delay, you must work directly with the airline to be rebooked. Once your new flight is confirmed, you must then notify GAT with your new arrival time. If you are arriving later than your original scheduled flight, you may not be met by a GAT representative at the airport. In this case, you will need to arrange your own transportation from the airport to your hotel. If you booked your flights or bought a transfer service through GAT, you are entitled to a $25 reimbursement for the transfer missed due to flight delay. Persons missing tour portions or components (including, but not limited to, meals, excursions, or sightseeing tours) due to flight delays or cancellations will not be refunded by GAT or be eligible for a change of return date.
Making your own flight arrangements
You may make your own flight arrangements for most tour itineraries. If you choose to make your own flight arrangements, you are also responsible for arranging your own transportation to and from all airports. Please keep in mind that all internal flights between cities as designated in the tour itinerary will be arranged by Go Ahead. If it is necessary for GAT to change or cancel your travel program in any way, you will be responsible for altering your flight plans accordingly and for any costs that result from such changes or cancellations. As a result, GAT strongly recommends that travellers purchasing their own airfare wait until after the Tour Finalization Date to buy non-refundable tickets.
Flight itinerary reservation
Flights chosen at the point of sale or prior to your Tour Finalization Date through our flight booking system are confirmed immediately. Any changes to the flight itinerary or traveller information after this point will incur a change fee of $75. After the Tour Finalization Date, change fees may be higher.
Final travel documents
Final travel documents, including travel itineraries, hotel accommodations, and a copy of the flight itinerary, are mailed approximately 14 days prior to departure. A supplemental fee of $15 will apply to all international deliveries (with the exception of the US). If your mailing address changes or if you want your final documents sent to a different address, you must notify GAT prior to your Tour Finalization Date. Otherwise, you will be responsible for any additional mailing costs.
Refunds & cancellations
If you cancel your reservation, the cancellation fee schedule below will apply. If you are booked in a double/twin room and your roommate cancels his or her tour more than 45 days prior to departure, you will be responsible for paying the single supplement fee. If you purchased TravelSafe and are canceling for a reason covered under the policy guidelines, cancellation fees will be reimbursed to you directly from the insurance company. Written notification must be received within 14 days of the event which causes the cancellation. In the event that you have to cancel your tour on the day of departure, you must notify GAT prior to checking in to your first flight if you purchased airfare through Go Ahead, or the departure of your first flight if travelling land-only. Any penalties for supplemental services/guarantees (including, but not limited to, flights, hotels, or late additions) resulting from cancellations made at your request will be your responsibility, and all service fees are non-refundable. Substitution of travellers is not permitted. If you choose not to travel, but fail to cancel your tour prior to the departure date or if you return home before the scheduled completion of your tour, you will not be eligible for any refund or reimbursement from GAT for any unused portion of your trip or costs incurred by leaving your trip early.
Cancellation with AnyReason Protection
Travellers with AnyReason Protection can cancel their tour at any time prior to checking in for their first scheduled flight. If cancelled for a reason not covered under their travel coverage policy, Go Ahead will provide a credit voucher for the value of their cancellation fees that can be applied to a newly booked tour. Voucher is valid for one year, is non-transferable, and is not redeemable for cash.
Cancellation of European land tours
Days Prior to Departure Cancellation Fee (Includes reservation fee)
71 days or more $300
70–46 days $1,000
45–8 days The greater of $1,000 or 50%*
7–0 days 100%*
Cancellation of non-European land tours and Special Event Tours
Days Prior to Departure Cancellation Fee (Includes reservation fee)
71 days or more $450
70–46 days The greater of $1,000 or 30%*
45–8 days The greater of $1,000 or 50%*
7–0 days 100%*
Cancellation of Land & Cruise Tours, Customized Tours, Ancestry Tours, tours including a ride on the Rocky Mountaineer and tours of Cuba
Days Prior to Departure Cancellation Fee (Includes reservation fee)
91 days or more $450
90–61 days The greater of $1,000 or 30%*
60–46 days The greater of $1000 or 50%*
45–14 days 75%*
13–0 days 100%*
*Percentages listed above are of the total tour cost, including reservation fee. Listed cancellation fee is applicable per traveller. Travel Protection is not part of the total tour cost. TravelSafe, TravelSafe Premium and AnyReason Protection are non-refundable after 15 days after purchase.
For Ancestry Tours, if a traveller cancels off the tour or rebooks to a non-Ancestry tour, the traveller is responsible for the full cost of any pre-tour services rendered by Ancestry ProGenealogists (including DNA kits and family research). Within 30 days of cancellation, Go Ahead Tours will bill the traveller for Ancestry services rendered based on pricing from Ancestry ProGenealogists.
Cancellation of pre/post-tour accommodation requests and tour extensions (if still travelling on main tour)
Days Prior to Departure Cancellation Fee (Includes reservation fee)
71 days or more $0
70-46 days 30%*
45-8 days 50%*
7-0 days 100%*
If cancellation of accommodation request or extension is done within 45 days of departure and the flights booked through GAT need to be changed, an additional flight re-booking fee of $300 applies in addition to the above charges. If the pre- or post-stay hotel is different than the main tour hotel in the same city when made available 30 days prior to tour, customers have 72 hours to cancel the pre- or post-stay hotel with no fee.
Health & capabilities
The pacing and physical requirements of GAT tours vary by itinerary. We recommend that you select a tour that is suitable to your physical capabilities. Certain tours require considerable walking and may pose difficulties for travellers with disabilities or impaired mobility. For example, many historic sites are only accessible on foot and involve stairs or inclines. Roads may be narrow and winding, often making it impossible for buses to drive up to your hotel. In addition, service providers on international tours may not have the infrastructure to make special provisions or accommodate special equipment that may be required. For example, GAT frequently uses small, family-owned hotels that may not have first-floor rooms or elevators available. In these cases, GAT might be required to arrange accommodations for disabled passengers in a separate hotel at an additional cost. For these reasons, you are required to disclose to your Tour Consultant any physical disabilities or limitations prior to reserving your tour so GAT can help you determine the appropriateness of the selected itinerary. GAT representatives are available to discuss any specific accommodations that disabled passengers might request and whether such requests can be reasonably arranged. GAT reserves the right to decline any tour participant whose condition, in our opinion, or in the opinion of a third party providing services on the tour, may affect the health, safety or tour experience of other travellers.
Group travel requirements
GAT reserves the right to reschedule or cancel any tour that has an insufficient number of travellers up to the Tour Finalization Date. If an insufficient number of travellers registers for your tour (not applicable to Private or Customized Tours), you may choose another tour and/or departure date with a sufficient number of travellers, or cancel your tour without penalty. You will be responsible for all costs associated with independent travel arrangements. GAT reserves the right to cancel a tour extension due to low enrolment. If a traveller chooses to cancel an entire tour due to a tour extension canceled by GAT, standard cancellation fees will apply.
Itinerary variations & holidays
If improvements can be made to tour itineraries or unforeseen circumstances necessitate changes, GAT reserves the right to amend, adjust, or alter itineraries. GAT cannot control program changes on Land & Cruise Tours and/or railway components of tours, as cruise lines and railway companies reserve the right to make changes. GAT will make every effort to notify you as early as possible of such changes. Due to local or national holidays, seasonal hours of operation or availability, special events and/or peak harvest seasons, access to certain facilities and attractions including, but not limited to, vineyards, museums, historical sites, or stores may be limited. On such occasions, and whenever possible, itinerary adjustments will be made by GAT to minimize traveller inconvenience.
Passports, visas & other travel documents
You are responsible for obtaining any travel documents and verifying entry requirements necessary for each country of travel on your selected tour itinerary, including any required vaccinations. Canadian citizens are required to have a passport for all trips outside of Canada, which must be valid for at least six months beyond the completion date of the tour. We recommend applying for a passport as soon as you enrol on a tour, as it can take up to eight weeks to process. Entry laws differ with respect to travellers’ citizenship. You are responsible for any expenses incurred as a result of delays or itinerary changes related to your lack of appropriate travel documents and are therefore ineligible for any refund from GAT. GAT recommends that you apply for any necessary visas with a visa service. Depending on where you are travelling or your citizenship, you may need a visa for your tour. If you decide to apply for your visa directly with the applicable consulate(s) and require additional assistance and/or documentation from GAT, you may be subject to a special arrangements fee of $95. Some countries that require a visa from Canadian citizens are Australia, Brazil, Cambodia, China, Egypt, Ghana, India, Kenya, Russia, Tanzania, Turkey and Vietnam. Please visit travel.gc.ca for the most up-to-date requirements.
Other terms & provisions
The terms and provisions of these Booking Conditions supersede any other warranties, representations, terms, or conditions, unless they are expressly stated within a Booking Conditions Addendum or in a letter signed by a GAT officer. GAT makes every effort to ensure the accuracy of its publications, but it cannot be held responsible for typographical or printing errors, including, but not limited to, prices. GAT tours are not for resale, and travellers must enrol directly with GAT.
Protection for travellers’ payments
Go Ahead Tours is registered in accordance with the Travel Industry Act and upholds the standards and policies of this Act. Go Ahead Tours is registered with TICO #2395858, Consumer Protection BC #73991 and is a holder of a Quebec permit with the Office de la protection du consommateur permit #702732). In the unlikely event of a GAT bankruptcy, insolvency, or cessation of business, GAT has secured all advanced payments of its customers, regardless of province or territory of origin, through the affiliation with the above organizations.
Go Ahead Tours is a member of the International Air Transport Association (IATA) and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
I (or parent or legal guardian if enrollee is under 18 or a minor under any other applicable law) am an enrollee on a Go Ahead Tour and understand and agree to the following:
1. I acknowledge and understand that my tour is operated by EF Education First International Ltd., Switzerland, and that EF Institute for Cultural Exchange Ltd. acts only as a marketing service provider for that company. EF Institute for Cultural Exchange Ltd. does not provide any goods or services for your trip. If I am participating in a domestic tour in the U.S., I understand that a portion of my tour may be operated by EF Explore America, Inc., a U.S. affiliate.
2. EF Education First International Ltd., EF Institute for Cultural Exchange Ltd., and (if applicable) EF Explore America, Inc., and their affiliated companies, partners, and any companies acting on their behalf, along with their officers, directors, employees, agents, and authorized representatives (collectively referred herein as “GAT”) do not own or operate any entity which is to or does provide goods or services for my tour, including for example hotels; arrangements for, ownership of, or control over houses, apartments, or other lodging facilities; tour directors; airline, vessel, bus, or other transportation companies; local ground operators; visa processing services; providers or organizers of optional excursions; or food service or entertainment providers. I acknowledge that all such persons and entities, specifically the Tour Director assigned to my tour, are independent contractors and not employees of or employed by GAT. As a result, GAT is not liable for any negligent or willful act or failure to act of any such person or entity, or of any other third party.
3. Without limitation, GAT is not responsible for any injury, loss, or damage to person or property, death, delay or inconvenience in connection with the provision of any goods or services occasioned by or resulting from, but not limited to: acts of God; force majeure; acts of government; acts of war or civil unrest, insurrection or revolt; strikes or other labor activities; criminal, terrorist or threatened terrorist activities of any kind; overbooking or downgrading of accommodations; structural or other defective conditions in houses, apartments, or other lodgings (or in any heating, plumbing, electrical or structural problem therein); mechanical or other failure of airplanes or other means of transportation or for any failure of any transportation mechanism to arrive or depart timely or safely; dangers associated with or bites from animals, insects or pests; sanitation problems; food poisoning; epidemics, or the threat thereof; disease; lack of access to or quality of medical care; difficulty in evaluation in case of a medical or other emergency; or any negligent or willful act or failure to act of any third party, or for any other cause beyond the direct control of GAT.
4. I agree to release GAT, my Group Coordinator (if applicable), and my Tour Director (the “Released Parties”) from, and agree not to sue the Released Parties for, any and all claims, of any nature related in any manner to my participation in a GAT-sponsored tour, including, but not limited to, claims for negligence, breach of contract, breach of express or implied warranties, negligent or wrongful death or any statutorily based claim. I hereby unconditionally and unequivocally waive any and all claims and demands for all damages, losses, costs and expenses of any nature whatsoever (including attorneys’ fees) on account of or arising out of any and all personal injury, death, bodily injury, mental anguish, emotional distress, property or other damage that I may suffer from any cause whatsoever related in any way to my participation in any GAT-sponsored tour. I further agree to release and hold harmless the Released Parties from any and all decisions to cancel, modify or delay the tour as a result of acts of God, war (whether declared or undeclared), terrorist activities or threats of terrorists activities, instability in a destination country, incidents of violence, public health issues or quarantine or threats of public health issues, substantial currency fluctuations, strikes, government restrictions, fire or severe weather conditions, or any other reason that makes it impossible or commercially unreasonable in the sole opinion of GAT to conduct the tour.
5. I understand that travel in other nations is not similar to travel in Canada. Tours outside Canada can involve inconvenience and risk, including, but not limited to, forces of nature, geographic and climatic conditions, different hygienic standards, infrastructure problems (including road maintenance, transportation delays and accommodation condition), civil unrest, vandalism, crime, political instability and terrorism. Medical services or facilities may not be readily available or available at all during all or part of a tour and, if available, may not be equal to standards in my home country. I further understand that different parts of the world present unique health, disease, and safety concerns, and I agree to review any specific risks related to my destination by visiting the World Health Organization’s international travel and health website at www.who.int/ith/en/ and the Government of Canada’s Travel Advice and Advisories site at www.travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories. I assume all risk of bodily injury, death, emotional trauma, property damage, inconvenience and/or loss resulting from negligence or any other acts of any and all persons or entities, however caused, including, but not limited to, those risks mentioned above. It is my intention fully to assume all of the risks of travel and participation in the program and to GAT from any and all liabilities to the maximum extent permitted by law. I agree that this Release applies to and binds myself and any minor child who I am enroling as a parent/legal guardian, along with all personal representatives, executors, heirs, and family.
6. GAT shall have no responsibility for me whatsoever when I am absent from GAT supervised activities or for non-GAT-supervised activities, such as visits to friends or relatives or during pre-/post-stay periods.
7. My tour begins with the takeoff from the GAT departure airport and ends upon completion of the flight back to the origination (or other arrival) airport. If I have purchased my own flights, I understand that my tour begins with my arrival at the first accommodation arranged by GAT on my itinerary and ends with my departure from the final accommodation arranged by GAT on my itinerary and does not include flights between cities.
8. The air carrier’s liability for loss of or damage to baggage or property, or for death or injury to person, is subject to and limited by the airlines’ contract of carriage, its tariff, the Montreal Convention or Warsaw Convention and their amendments or both.
9. I understand and agree that GAT reserves the right to refuse or cancel my reservation at their sole discretion. In such event, standard cancellation guidelines as outlined in the Booking Conditions apply.
10. I agree to abide by GAT’s regulations and the directions of my Tour Director and GAT’s personnel during my tour. I understand and agree that GAT may dismiss me from the tour at any time and at my sole expense for the failure to follow such rules or directions or for any other reason that GAT deems in its sole discretion requires my dismissal from the tour. I understand that in the event I am dismissed from the tour for any reason, I waive the right to a refund of any part of my program price, and that GAT may then send me home at my own expense. GAT is not responsible for arranging my transport home.
11. I agree to abide by all local laws when abroad. I understand that if I abuse or disobey such laws, even unintentionally, I waive my right to a refund of any part of the program price, and GAT may send me home at my own expense. I also understand that should local authorities be involved, I will be subject to the laws of the country I am visiting.
12. I understand and agree that if I become ill or incapacitated, GAT and its employees may take any action they deem necessary for my safety and well-being, including securing medical treatment and transporting me home at my own expense. GAT retains the right and has my authorization, in its sole discretion, to contact my emergency contact(s) with regard to health issues or any matter whatsoever that relates to my tour. In the event of a medical emergency, GAT will attempt to cause appropriate treatment to be administered, and I authorize GAT to do so. GAT, however, makes no warranty that it will be able to cause effective (or any) emergency treatment to be administered and GAT will not be responsible for monitoring any health care that I may necessitate.
13. I understand and agree that GAT has the right to make changes in tour itineraries and departure dates, and to modify transportation arrangements, including the use of substitute airlines. In the event of such changes, refunds will be given only in accordance with the provisions of the Booking Conditions supplied herewith.
14. I understand that prices are subject to unforeseen surcharges or price increases due to currency, fuel, etc., which, if imposed by airlines or other suppliers, will be separately billed prior to final payment date.
15. I understand that it is my responsibility to secure the necessary travel documents (e.g., passport and visa[s]) for all locations on my tour (including locations visited during transit). Failure to do so does not constitute grounds for a refund except according to the refund and cancellation guidelines as outlined in the Booking Conditions.
16. GAT is not responsible for loss of passports, airline tickets, or other documents, or for loss of or damage to luggage or any other passenger belongings. In the case of a lost paper airline ticket or missing a flight booked by GAT, I acknowledge that I am solely responsible for meeting the airline’s requirements (both logistical and financial) for ticket replacement.
17. I understand that I will be required to pay for any phone calls or incidental personal expenses that I incur at hotels, as well as for any damage I cause to hotel rooms, buses or other property.
18. I represent that I understand the pacing, content, accommodations, and other aspects of the tour upon which I have enroled, and that I have discussed with GAT any limitations that may make it difficult or impossible for me to participate in this tour as designed.
19. I understand and agree that this Release & Agreement and GAT’s Booking Conditions constitute the entire agreement between GAT and me with reference to the subject matter herein, and I do not rely upon any promises, inducements or agreements not herein, including but not limited to any oral statements made to me by any agents or employees of GAT. This agreement may be amended or modified only in writing, signed by both parties. The waiver by GAT of any provision of this agreement shall in no way affect the remaining provisions of this agreement, and this agreement shall be interpreted as if such clause or provision were not contained herein.
20. I understand and agree that this agreement shall be governed in all respects, and performance hereunder shall be judged, by the laws of the Province of Ontario and the laws of Canada applicable thereto. In the event of any claim, dispute, or proceeding arising out of my relationship with EF, or any claim which in contract, tort, or otherwise at law or in equity arises between the parties, whether or not related to this agreement, the parties submit and consent to the exclusive jurisdiction of the laws and regulations of the Province of Ontario.
21. I understand and consent that GAT may use any photographic, film, digital or video likeness taken of me, any of my comments while on a Go Ahead tour, any of my photographic, film, digital or video content shared by me with GAT through any form for future publicity or marketing without compensation to me and to also use my contact information for future GAT promotions.
22. I understand that my enrolment on tour with GAT is not complete until I have signed and agreed to the Booking Conditions and this Release & Agreement. By agreeing to this Release & Agreement and Booking Conditions on behalf of other travellers for whom I am completing the enrolment process, I warrant that I am authorized to act on behalf of such individual(s) and I acknowledge and affirm that GAT’s reliance on my authority is reasonable. I agree to indemnify and defend GAT for any claims arising out of any violation of this warranty.
23. GAT will process your personal data in compliance with applicable data protection legislation for the purposes of completing your enrolment, customer service, the purchase of an offered travel protection plan, and providing you with the products and services related to your tour. This may entail sharing your personal data with corporate affiliates, claims handlers, insurance providers, my school, my school board and Group Leader and other business partners both within and outside of Canada, including but not limited to the U.S. and EEA/Switzerland. We have put appropriate safeguards in place for such transfers of your personal data, including the standard data protection clauses adopted by the European Commission and the Canadian Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA).
We will only keep your personal data for as long as it is necessary for the purposes for which it has been collected or in accordance with time limits stipulated by law and good market practice, unless further retention is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation or for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims.
If you have questions about the processing or use of your personal data, would like to have a copy of the information GAT holds about you, or have inaccurate personal data corrected or erased to the fullest extent required by law, please contact us at 1-800-742-1731.